Tuesday, January 28, 2014

A Testimony of Keeping our Focus on God



I have recently been going through some tough times. I see myself as Peter when he walked on the water to try to reach Jesus. At first his focus was on God but when he looked at what was around him, he feared and lost his trust that God was there - his focus was off. At first I had my focus completely on God, but when i started worrying about trials and situations that arose in my life, I lost my focus on God and feared I wasn't going to make it through, and I lost my trust that God was there and that He knew what He was doing.

Several years ago, I had a calling to take up and lead a gloves/drama ministry for a long time. I shoved that calling off to the side to do what I wanted to do when I wanted to do it. Didn't think anymore about my calling, however, after shoving that calling to the side, I had a heavy heart. I wasn't able to get out of my "comfort zone" without fear. A few weeks ago, God laid the calling on my heart again. I decided I was not going to refuse the calling this time. Once I decided to take up the calling, I felt so much better. The heaviness of my heart was lifted and I was able to get out of my "comfort zone" and worship God with everything I had. It felt so good to get out of my "comfort zone" at church and worship with boldness, not fear.

I recently heard an Adventure in Odyssey that talked about "count it all joy". In it, it talked about how God had a purpose for everything we went through, and that He cares about His children. It is to teach us to trust that He knows what He is doing and that He is going to take care of me. I realized I may go through trials and storms but God has a purpose for it all. All He wants me to do it trust that He is there and He knows what He is doing. I just have to let him lead me where he wants me to go. I just have to stay in His will, not mine.

Sometimes, we go through trials to test our faith, sometimes it is to draw us closer to God, sometimes, it is to teach us to trust in God. Don't look at the waves around you because you may sink in worry, fear, and hardship. Stay away from that road!! It is a road you don't want to walk down. Keep your focus on God!! The results are much better. Trust that He knows what He is doing. He created you for a purpose.

Here is food for though: What is too unimportant to pray about and too big for God to handle?

He created the universe, He can take care of the storms of life. NOTHING is too big for God to handle.


My bretheren, count it all joy when you fall into various trials, knowing that the testing of your faith produces patience. But let patience have its perfect work, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking nothing. If any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask of God, who gives all liberally and without reproach, and it will be given to him. But let him ask in faith, with no doubting, for he who doubts is like a wave of the sea driven and tossed by the wind. For let not that man suppose that he will receive anything from the Lord; he is a double-minded man, unstable in all his ways.
James 1:2-8

No comments:

Post a Comment